I am just loving having a garden this year! I tell ya it's not been easy what with every kind of pest problem you can imagine but my little plants are troopers! I've had some completely shed all leaves and still come back a few weeks later with luscious green leaves a bearing fruit! My biggest failures have been my corn and green beans. Corn I've done before, so I'm a little shocked actually a lot shocked since even the nursery can't figure out what happened but I have short 2 foot stalks some dying but a handful with multiple ears growing on it...I mean like 5?! I take it that's Heavenly Father's way of forcing my kids to eat more "green" veggies. Although my sad, sad green beans aren't doing so well themselves. I killed them with water, revived them with a short drought, watch the bugs take over, burned them to death with a pesticide (i normally wash away bugs but I was going out of town) then decided to "experiment but cutting the vine were just below what I like to call "the grave stem" (where most of the dead was) and see if it would flourish below. Nursery said I was crazy for cutting a vine plant...um not so much, it worked!! Only down side is it will not grow taller so we get about 3 green beans at a time and well that won't even feed the toddler! So cheers to pretty, green experimental, useless plants! Not completely useless...they feed nitrogen into the soil so I plan to till them in when the season is over.
Let's see what else...Oh! I'm SO OVER worms! I mean seriously?! Have you ever stared at one of those 3D illusions posters that just looks like a paint splattered square so long that you just smile and say oh look there it is?! Yeah well trying to find an inch and a half long worm that's about as thick as a single strand of horse hair is like trying to see the 3D building pop out at you. Especially when your tomato plants are 4 feet high and 2 feet full! I even tried to pay the teenager a quarter per worm...he basically told me he didn't need to inner tubes that bad!
Then there's the sunflowers. I needed to move them because whatever stunted the growth of my corn stalks didn't effect my sunflowers one bit and they were towering over them. My corn needed sun! So I dug them up and moved them. When the hubby came home and saw them nicely in a row along the house bent over in half he told me I was nuts, I even believed him then 2 days later I woke up to upright sunflowers that had actually bloomed! Yay for sunflower seeds! (i have edible plants)
So that's my adventures so far. Haven't really eaten a thing off any of my plants but who knows. My second round of crookedneck squash is flourishing and my zuccini's are getting big! Here are pictures of everything about 3 weeks ago. I wanted to post new photo's but it's WAY to hot outside to care enough to go take a picture so here you go.
And here is a beautiful photo of my only two Fuji Apples that mysteriously disappear :(
How cool! I want a garden so bad. But this way you can figure out how to do it and then tell me all the secrets!
ReplyDelete